Accused driver in Edmonton boy's patio death committed to trial

The man accused of drunkenly driving through a patio and killing a two year old boy was committed Friday to stand trial.

Richard Alan Suter, 63, faces three charges of impaired driving causing bodily harm, one count of impaired driving causing death and one charge of failing to provide a breath sample.

Provincial court Judge Susan Richardson committed Suter to trial after hearing evidence in July and September during his preliminary hearing. That evidence, and Richardson's reasons, are subject to a court ordered publication ban.

Suter was originally charged with two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm, but a third was added during the preliminary hearing.

A trial date has not yet been scheduled.

Geo Mounsef was killed May 19, 2013, while dining with his family at Ric's Grill on 23rd Avenue in Terwillegar. During their meal, an SUV crashed through the glass partition of the restaurant's patio and pinned the two year old boy, causing fatal injuries. Three other people were hurt.

More than a dozen of Geo's family and friends filled half the courtroom. Many wore shirts that read "Justice For Geo," with the boy's picture.

Outside court, the boy's mother, Sage Morin, said the decision was one they had been "rooting for" over several months.

"We're very pleased with today's outcome and we continue to put our faith in the justice system," she said. "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that day. I have flashbacks."