St. Albert man facing two counts of Impaired Driving after pedestrian struck

iNews880, September 04, 2015

A man in St. Albert has been charged with Impaired Driving after an 81 year old pedestrian was struck near the St. Albert Catholic Parish Church.

50 year old William McNamara was driving his uninsured red 2010 Hyundai Accent when he allegedly struck the woman, she is now recovering in hospital after sustaining serious injuries.

McNamara was also apparently driving while disqualified, stemming from another incident a couple of days earlier.

On August 29th he rear ended a Nissan Rogue, and according to police he was drunk that time as well.

He’s facing an Assault on a Police Officer charge for that one as well.
Edmonton judge fined $1,500 for drunk driving

the Edmonton Sun, June 30, 2014

An Edmonton judge admitted Monday to driving drunk after being pulled over at a Checkstop with his blood-alcohol level at more than twice the legal limit.

Paul Gordon Sully, 75, was fined $1,500 and banned from driving for one year after pleading guilty to one count of driving with a blood-alcohol level over .08.

Sully was also ordered by Calgary Provincial Court Judge Paul Mason to pay a $450 victim fine surcharge.

Crown prosecutor William Burge, who came from the Saskatchewan Crown prosecutor’s office to handle the case, told court Sully was pulled over at a Checkstop on Calgary Trail at 54 Avenue just after midnight on June 13.

“The accused, as he drove up, did drive over a traffic cone,” said Burge. “He admitted drinking. He was observed to be slightly unsteady on his feet while standing and described as steady as he walked.”

Burge said two breathalyzer readings were taken and Sully’s blood-alcohol level was .20 on both.

The prosecutor noted the minimum fine on a first offence is $1,000, but said that due to the high readings being “aggravating,” there was a joint submission between Crown and defence for an increased fine of $1,500.

Defence lawyer Peter Royal told court that Sully was “fully cooperative” with police at the time and said that he was later driven home by one of the officers.

“This is a very sad event in his life,” said Royal, adding that Sully was accompanied in court by his wife.

Royal told the judge that he met Sully the day after the incident and said he decided to plead guilty then and he also resigned as a judge that day as well.

“It is a sad end to a very distinguished career,” said Royal.

A second charge of impaired driving was stayed.

Sully was appointed to the Provincial Court in 1988. He retired as a full-time judge in April after having reached the mandatory age of retirement and was named as a supernumerary (part-time) judge who only sits on the bench when requested to do so.​

powered by Fresh News Updater 1.0